WHO WE SUPPORT
Since our launch in February 2014 we have funded a total of 40 charity projects in Hackney. The total amount given to these charities is over £173,000. Through crowdfunding events an additional sum of £30,041 has been pledged.
To find out about our next grants round click here.
Following, please find details of the first six groups to benefit from Hackney Giving Live crowdfunding events:
- St Mary's Secret Garden: is a small secret garden of four interlinking areas - a natural woodland, a food growing area, a herb and sensory garden and an area of herbaceous borders. The funds raised at Hackney Giving Live for St Mary's Secret Garden funded a therapeutic gardening project for people living with HIV. Amount raised: £4,888
- Hackney Shed: is a vibrant, creative and accepting performing arts group where children and young people come together to share ideas and produce exciting theatre. The funds raised at Hackney Giving Live for Hackney Shed funded the end of term performance in the summer of 2014. Amount raised: £3,183
- Creative Lifestyle CIC: is a Social Enterprise that delivers creative workshops to people with mental or emotional issues and other vulnerable people, using creativity as a means to release tension and to up-skill people facing barriers to employment. The funds raised at Hackney Giving Live for Creative Lifestyle CIC supported training in cake baking and decorating and soft furnishings and sewing as well as a month long pop-up shop where course participants will sell their produce. Amount raised: £2,696
- Kimnara Music: aims to advance the well-being and inclusion of people with disabilities in the arts, in particular music, through the provision of music therapy, education and performance. The funds raised were used to continue to support young people with autism through music. Amount raised: £3,717
- Volunteer Centre Hackney: aims to promote, support and enable volunteering across the borough, to enable the delivery of charitable services to improve people's wellbeing and quality of life. They work with over 500 voluntary and community organisations across Hackney to provide over 400 work placements and volunteering opportunities at any one time for Hackney residents. The funds raised supported their project 'Step Up' which helps those with mental health issues through volunteering. Amount raised: £3,303. Click here to read an interview with VCH's CEO Lauren Tobias.
- Circle Sports: Circle Sports has two main aims:
1. To place local young people not in employment, training or education (NEETs) into permanent employment
2. To encourage local young children into sport. The funds raised helped equip vulnerable people with skills that will help them into employment. Amount raised: £3,746
Click here to read about our latest Hackney Giving Live event at Hoxton Square in April 2015.
St Mary's Secret Garden